The Open University Students Association Limited is a charity registered with the Charity Commission for England and Wales. It is also governed by the Education Act 1994.
Our governing document is our Articles of Association, further developed by our Bye-laws.
The Association’s Charitable objects are the advancement of education of students at the Open University for the public benefit by:
- Defending the principles of equal opportunity and of open access to the University regardless of academic qualifications or financial circumstances.
- Promoting the interests and welfare of students at the Open University during their period of study and representing and supporting students.
- Being the recognised representative channel between students and the Open University and any other external bodies.
- Asserting that all students studying with the Open University have the right to have their views heard and acknowledged by the University; and
- Providing social, cultural, and recreational activities and forums for discussions and debate for the personal development of its students.
Our company number is 12031028 and charity number 1183837.
Read our Articles of Association
Read our Bye-laws
Environmental Sustainability Policy
Health and Safety Policy
Resolving and Settling Differences Procedure
Social Media Policy
Travel and Subsistency Policy
Values and Behaviour Policy
Shared University agreements
The OU-OUSA Relationship Agreement sets out how the OU and Open University Students Association will work together:
- Under our Student Charter principle, to secure the University’s mission (being open to people, places, methods and ideas) and to promote the University’s values (being inclusive, innovative and responsive).
- To support Open University Students Association’s objectives for the advancement of OU students’ education, set out in the Open University Students Association Constitution.
- To ensure that Open University Students Association operates in a fair and democratic manner, and is accountable for its finances. The OU-OU Students Association Relationship Agreement complies with the statutory requirements for the Code of Practice under section 22(3) of the Education Act 1994.
Read the Relationship Agreement